The Stylist’s Toolbox
As a stylist, I’ve learned a few tips and tricks over the years. On photo shoots, in a client’s closet, and even while traveling, I’ve learned that it is essential to have an emergency kit with you at all times.
In our daily lives, we may not need a suitcase stocked with supplies that would conquer any fashion emergency. However, it is important to have your own emergency kit, whether it’s for your wedding day, your best friend’s wedding day, your remote holiday, or just your office. I guarantee your little kit will come in handy.
To help you avoid a dreaded fashion faux pas, here are 15 items that you should always have on hand:
- Dry Shampoo: It’s hard to imagine life without dry shampoo. Use your favorite formula to soak up any grease and perfect your look, especially when transitioning from a long day to an evening engagement. Check out my last post here for a list of my favorites.
- Lingerie Tape: One of the most important items on the list. Lingerie tape—or double-sided tape—will fix a multitude of wardrobe malfunctions. Easily fix a faulty hem, keep your plunging neckline in place, and even prevent your feet from sliding in shoes that are too large, with a few pieces at the soles.
- Safety Pins: A quick fix for so many clothing emergencies. Pro tip: use black, rather than silver, they’ll blend into your clothing better.
- Static Cling Spray: A staple for all stylists that transforms your less expensive fabrics to look like a million bucks. With the help of this magical spray, you’ll avoid fabric sticking to you in uncomfortable and often unflattering ways.
- Nipple Pads: With summer and wedding season on the horizon, a dress that requires you to step outside bra-less might very well be in your future. If you want to keep the focus on your gorgeous look—and aren’t ready to hop on the free the nipple trend—invest in some nipple covers and sport your dress worry-free.
- Bandaids: From time to time, fashion really is pain. Although your Manolo pumps are exquisite, the pain they cause can often be excruciating. Rather than questioning your style choice, arm yourself for the battle, with bandaids. Pro tip: you didn’t skimp on the Manolos so don’t skimp on the bandaids. It can be so frustrating when they fall out of place. Checkout my personal favorite here.
- Shout Wipes: An absolute must for all the messy eaters out there. Choose your favorite on-the-go stain remover to lift any stain from your clothes in a pinch.
- Blotting Papers: As we dip into summer and dive into a whole new level of humidity, it can be difficult to combat oily or shiny skin. Stash some blotting papers into your purse to quickly absorb oil for a shine-free look.
- Shower Cap: If you encounter multiple quick outfit changes in a day, this will protect you from hair static and makeup stains on your clothes. Whether you’re changing in an airport, on your way to an event, or just slipping into an evening dress for an impromptu date night, this quick fix shields your clothing from potential fashion disasters.
- Hair Pins/Ties: Not just for your hair, these bad boys can pin your bra in place, add some touching to a dress that desperately needs a cinch or just pick a lock. You never know where life will take you 😉
- Chapstick: The base layer for any great lipstick color.
- Black Permanent Marker: Not just for leaving your mark on the bathroom wall, this simple addition to your emergency kit is the perfect repair tool for that unfortunate scuff in your shoe on the rush out the door.
- Hair Brush: Because after all of this rushing you’ll need to brush out those knots.